Fee Protection Service
At Jems Bookkeeping & Accountancy Services we understand that tax is a little word with big implications. That is why we work hard to give you the best possible advice and strategies to make tax altogether less taxing.
The very thought of an HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) enquiry can be daunting but, in the event that you are chosen for investigation, we can help you at every step of the process.
We can demonstrate to HMRC that you are paying the correct amount of tax and assist with the investigative procedures. This all takes time, expense, and flexibility on our behalf. All of which means that tax enquiry charges are an unavoidable addition to our regular service fees.
To give you peace of mind we offer a Tax Enquiry Fee Protection Service. The service is arranged with Croner Taxwise Limited (Financial Services Register number 304970) and underwritten by Irwell Insurance Company Limited (Financial Services Register number 202897), specialist providers of Tax Fee Protection Insurance Schemes to Accountancy Practices. The Service is backed by an insurance policy under which we can claim the costs of defending clients in tax enquiries.
We will deal with any correspondence, checks or visits from HMRC and the potentially high costs of dealing with such enquiries will not be passed on to you. As an added bonus, clients who subscribe to the Service will also be able to obtain helpful advice about the complex areas of Employment Law and Business Safety.
An investigation into your tax return by HMRC is triggered for several reasons; a tip off, paying the incorrect amount of tax, late returns or simply working within a targeted sector to name a few. The assumption when you’re selected for a tax investigation, is that you have done something wrong. This is rarely the case.
Random enquiries into tax affairs can and do happen. Whether you’re an individual taxpayer or business owner, an investigation is possible, and nobody is exempt. That brown envelope arriving on your doorstep is not to be ignored.
Any taxpayer can be targeted by HMRC to check that they are paying the right amount of tax, answering all of HMRC’s questions takes time and professional expertise. Enquiries often drag on for months and sometimes take years to conclude. It can cost thousands of pounds to defend you, whatever the end result.
So what can be done?
It is more important now than it has ever been for you to consider protecting against the unplanned costs that you will incur in the event of an HMRC enquiry or compliance visit. This can be achieved at a relatively low cost.
An insurance backed solution
To provide peace of mind, we offer a Tax Enquiry Fee Protection Service. The Service is backed by an insurance policy under which we can claim costs incurred defending you in the event of an HMRC enquiry. For added value clients who subscribe to the Service will also be able to access a telephone advice line covering those complex areas of Employment Law and Business Safety, at no additional cost.
Why do I need the fee protection service?
- HMRC enquiry activity is at record levels
- HMRC are targeted to increase tax revenues
- HMRC has been granted wider information and inspection powers under ‘Schedule 36’
- Anyone that pays tax can come under enquiry
- Many enquiries are selected completely at random
- Even if your tax return and business records are accurate and the taxman finds no errors accountancy fees can cost thousands
- No policy excess
- No nonsense policy allowing your accountant to deal with all enquiry correspondence from HMRC as well as attending meetings with HMRC where necessary
- Complete peace of mind
What is the fee protection service?
- Your accountant will defend you, should you receive an enquiry from HMRC… Professional defence costs are often substantial
- These costs will be covered by your accountants policy
- Includes cover for enquiries under HMRC’s ‘Schedule 36’ powers
- Cover for up to £100,000 of fees
- Includes complimentary access to Health & Safety, HR and Employment Law hub and advice lines
- Your accountant will deal with any claims
For more information, please contact us.